I’ve said it before, you can NEVER have enough ways to prepare tilapia… It’s such a versatile fish. This variation is also mediumly healthy (with the exception of a little bit of butter 🤐), but it’s still better than fried versions!
It uses all fresh ingredients, but it’s still fairly simple to make and super yummy! Fresh fish is always best, but I also use a fair amount of frozen in my recipes, so you can certainly thaw out a couple filets and use that here. I do recommend using fresh orange juice and grated ginger however. The flavors are just so much better.
We start by marinating the tilapia. To make the marinade, combine the juice from two large oranges with two tablespoons each fresh lemon juice and grated fresh ginger, and two teaspoons grated orange zest. Place tilapia filets and marinade in a ziploc bag, and refrigerate for 30 min.
Melt one tablespoon olive oil and two tablespoons butter in a skillet over medium heat. Remove tilapia from marinade and reserve marinade. Cook filets in skillet, about 4-6 min a side, until opaque and browned lightly.
Remove cooked fish from skillet and set on a plate. Melt two more tablespoons of butter in skillet where the fish was cooked. Bring to medium high heat and add the reserved marinade. Cook on medium until small bubbles form, stirring constantly. When sauce begins to reduce and thicken, add in a tablespoon chopped fresh mint and stir to combine. Serve pan sauce over tilapia filets. This dish looks and tastes so fancy, and is really just this simple! 😏👌
Orange Ginger Tilapia
- 2 tilapia filets
- 1 c. fresh orange juice (about 2 large oranges)
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. fresh grated ginger
- 2 tsp. grated orange zest
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh mint
- Combine fresh orange juice, lemon juice, ginger, and orange zest to make marinade.
- Marinate tilapia in a ziploc bag in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Melt olive oil and 2 Tbsp. of the butter in a skillet. Remove filets from marinade and reserve the remaining liquid.
- Cook filets over medium heat, 4-6 min per side, until opaque and lightly browned.
- Transfer cooked fish to a plate. Add additional 2 Tbsp. butter to skillet. Bring heat to medium high, and add reserved marinade. Stir constantly and cook until small bubbles form. Continue to cook until sauce reduces and starts to thicken.
- Stir in chopped mint. Serve pan sauce over tilapia filets.