Pulled pork is great… It’s a simple, no fuss meal that can feed a lot of people. But maybe you’re sick of the plain old traditional BBQ kind? Here’s my version with an Asian twist from the homemade barbecue sauce, and don’t let that scare you! There’s really nothing to making your own. 😉
First you’ll need to get your pork going in the slow cooker. Start with a 2-3 lb. pork shoulder or pork butt roast. They make for the best pulled pork cause of the fat marbled through them. Mix up all the ingredients you’re going to cook it in… Water, sugar, cider vinegar, soy sauce, ketchup, Sriracha, garlic, ginger, salt and pepper…
Then throw your pork roast in the slow cooker and pour your liquids over the top. It will suck up all the flavors and be super moist and yummy! Cover and let it hang out… About 6-8 hrs on low or 3-4 hrs on hi. When finished, remove the pork roast and shred the meat with forks. Discard any remaining liquid from the crock pot and return shredded pork to keep warm.
Now for what makes it really special… The sauce! It’s really so so easy to make your own BBQ sauce and I promise this one is worth it! Ketchup, molasses, soy sauce, cider vinegar, and ground ginger… That’s it! Pour the sauce over the shredded pork and mix to combine. The soy and ginger give it an Asian flare and it pairs perfectly with my Wasabi Slaw. Just serve on a slider roll or, if you’re really hungry, you can make full size sammies out of these! Hope you love em! 😉✌️
Serves: 8-10 sliders
For Pulled Pork:
- 2-3 lb. pork shoulder or butt
- 1 c. hot water
- 1/3 c. sugar
- 3 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. ketchup
- 1/2 tsp. each salt & pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger
- Dash of Sriracha (optional)
For the Asian BBQ Sauce:
- 3/4 c. ketchup
- 1/4 c. molasses
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. ground ginger (powder)
- Place pork roast in a slow cooker.
- Combine all remaining ingredients for pulled pork and pour over the meat.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hrs, or on hi for 3-4. Remove meat and shred with forks.
- Discard any cooking liquids and return pork to slow cooker to keep warm.
- Combine all ingredients for Asian BBQ sauce. Pour sauce over shredded pork and mix to combine. Keep warm in slow cooker until ready to serve. Serve on slider buns, topped with Wasabi Slaw, if desired.