Those of you that follow me on social media know that one of my favorite places to eat in my hometown is a little breakfast and lunch spot called the waffle shop. Often when I go I get chocolate chip pancakes or a big Belgian waffle with whipped cream, but once in a while I opt for something healthier like their “breakfast salad”… a big bowl of vanilla yogurt, topped with fresh fruit, granola with raisins, and honey. It’s really delicious, filling, and guilt free so I decided to recreate it at home and thought I’d make it special by making my own Homemade Granola as well! You can use any kind of yogurt you like for this, or substitute Greek yogurt for some added protein!
Breakfast Salad with Homemade Granola
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1/2 c. honey
- 1/4 c. canola oil
- 4 c. old fashioned oats
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 c. raisins
For Breakfast Salads:
- 32 oz. vanilla low-fat yogurt
- 16 oz. strawberries, sliced
- 6 oz. blueberries
- 3 bananas, sliced
- 3-4 tbsp. honey, for drizzling
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Combine brown sugar, honey and canola oil in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Cook, stirring often until sugar is dissolved.
- Pour brown sugar mixture over oats and add cinnamon and salt. Stir until oats are evenly coated.
- Spread granola mixture over a cookie sheet (sprayed with pam) and press mixture down.
- Place in oven and bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before breaking apart and into pieces. Mix in raisins. (Any unused granola can be stored in a ziplock bag or other air tight container.)
- Divide yogurt between 4 bowls.
- Top each with a 1/2 cup of granola.
- Top with berries and bananas.
- Drizzle each salad with about a tablespoon of honey. Serve immediately.