Talk about comfort food… this pasta has it all! Rich, creamy alfredo sauce, tender chicken and savory mushrooms. You could also leave the chicken out for a vegetarian-friendly meal.
Creamy Chicken & Mushroom Alfredo Pasta
- 1/2 lb. dried linguine (or pasta of your choice)
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast, cooked and cut into small pieces or coarse shreds
- 8 oz. assorted fresh mushrooms (I used shiitake, oyster, and baby bella but use whatever you like!)
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Fresh parsley, for garnish, (optional)
For Alfredo Sauce:
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the fettucine in a pot of rapidly boiling salted water until al dente. Drain in a colander, reserving 1/4 cup of the pasta cooking liquid.
- While the pasta is cooking, melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add minced garlic and saute until tender.
- Sauté the mushrooms in a small amount of olive oil until tender. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add heavy cream and bring to a boil. Cook until sauce has reduced slightly, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Return the pasta to the pot it was cooked in, set over medium-high heat along with the reserved cooking liquid.
- Add the butter-cream mixture and half of the Parmesan and toss to combine thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Top with shredded chicken and sautéed mushrooms. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan.
- Garnish with parsley, if desired. Serve immediately.
Alfredo Sauce adapted from chef Emeril Lagasse’s fettuccine Alfredo.