I don’t know whether to call this breakfast or dessert… it seriously tastes like pineapple upside-down cake! Thick, buttery brioche bread is stuffed with cherry cream cheese, fried until golden brown, then topped with bruleed pineapple pieces and a to-die-for brown sugar maple glaze! Don’t count the calories on this one… just enjoy it!
Pineapple Upside Down Stuffed Brioche French Toast
Serves: 6 toasts
- 12 thick slices brioche bread
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 block cream cheese, softened
- 10-12 maraschino cherries, plus more for garnish
- Whipped topping, optional
For bruleed pineapple topping:
- 16 oz. fresh pineapple, cut into thin chunks
- 1/2 c. dark brown sugar
For maple brown sugar glaze:
- 1/4 c. butter
- 1/4 c. dark brown sugar
- 1/4 c. pure maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roughly chop maraschino cherries and mix into softened cream cheese until just combined. Spread mixture evenly over 6 slices of brioche bread. Top with remaining 6 slices to make sandwiches.
- In a shallow bowl or pie plate, combine eggs, milk and vanilla. Heat a non-stick griddle over medium high heat. Brush with butter.
- Dip each sandwich one by one into egg mixture, just enough to coat, don’t soak them or they will become soggy! Place immediately onto heated, buttered griddle. Cook for a minute or two, until browned. Flip and brown other side.
- Place browned French toast sandwiches onto a baking sheet sprayed lightly with cooking spray. Bake in preheated oven for 10-15 minutes, flipping them halfway through. Remove from oven and leave on pan to cool a bit.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine butter, sugar and maple syrup. Bring to a boil, whisking constantly, then reduce heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes, until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Place pineapple pieces in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle each piece with a layer of dark brown sugar. Broil, watching carefully, until sugar is allowed to caramelize and brown.
- To serve: Cut each French toast sandwich in half diagonally. Top with a few pieces of bruleed pineapple and drizzle with maple brown sugar glaze. Garnish with whipped cream and a cherry!