Summer, with all of it’s picnics, barbecues, and soirees, is one of the best times of the year. That being said, it’s also one of the busiest, at least for me. So when the neighbor invites you over to their backyard bash at the last minute or you’re just too busy running back and forth to the pool and sporting events but don’t want to show up to a party empty handed, what do you do? Probably buy one of those plastic trays of pre-cut (and questionably fresh) fruit from the grocery store or a grab a pound of deli macaroni salad that you know will still be sitting untouched at the end of the night… we’ve all been there. What do I do then? Take watermelon! I know, I know, I was just dissing the pre-cut fruit and that’s NOT what this is, but I promise you it is equally simple AND quick! This “salad” is nothing more than melon balls with a quick citrusy sweet drizzle of rum and a sprinkling of mint but it is enough to elevate a summer staple and look like you “tried.” It also makes a refreshing summer dessert!
Watermelon Salad with Rum and Mint
- 6-pound piece seedless watermelon, chilled
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. light rum
- 2 tbsp. fresh lime juice (1 lime)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. slivered fresh mint
- 1/2 tsp. finely grated lime zest
- In a large bowl, whisk together lime juice, sugar, rum, and salt.
- Using a melon baller, scoop melon into balls (or cut into bite-sized chunks).
- Add melon to lime mixture in bowl. Sprinkle with mint and lime zest, tossing gently to combine. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate, up to 2 hours.
Original recipe from Martha Stewart Living.