This simple pumpkin soup is velvety, creamy, and full of flavor. I roasted my own pumpkin and pureed it to use, but you can certainly buy canned pumpkin as well… just make sure it is the plain pumpkin, not the spiced pumpkin pie filling. This quick recipe is the perfect warm, comfort food for a cool fall night!
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 large potato
- 1 yellow onion
- 4 1/2 c. chicken broth
- 1 can pure pumpkin
- salt & pepper
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 c. heavy cream
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter. Add potato and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent, about 8 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook until potato is tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Stir in pumpkin. Using an immersion blender, purée mixture until smooth. (Or, use a blender to purée mixture in batches, then return to pot.)
- Stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and nutmeg. Increase heat to medium-high and bring mixture to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook for 10 minutes. Stir in cream and heat thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Serve hot.
* Original recipe from Country Living.