Warm up your holiday with festive spices like cloves, cinnamon, and star anise simmered and served warm in this traditional mulled wine recipe.
- 1 large orange
- 2 cardamom pods
- 6 whole clove
- 6 allspice berries
- 6 whole black peppercorns
- 1 cinnamon stick, plus 4 for garnish (optional)
- 1 bottle (3 cups) fruity red wine
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brandy
- With a fine grater, zest, then juice the orange.
- With the flat side of a knife, press firmly on the cardamom pods to bruise them. In a large pot (not aluminum), combine zest, juice, cardamom, cloves, allspice, peppercorns, cinnamon, wine, sugar, and brandy. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until sugar dissolves, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low; simmer until flavors have melded, about 30 minutes. Pour through a fine-mesh sieve; garnish with cinnamon stick, if desired. Serve immediately.
*Original recipe from Martha Stewart Living.